How to choose the right HSE Management System
Shipping companies are under growing pressure to comply with Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) regulations and standards. The key to a safe organization is an efficient HSE Management System.
What is HSE?
The system manages and documents safety. This includes organizational structures, policies and procedures. It ensures the safety and security of the workplace, equipment, assets, personnel and crew.
The main objectives of a HSE Management System:
- Providing safe, secure and healthy work conditions with zero injuries
- Delivering safe and environmentally responsible products and services
- Preventing incidents and accidents on all vessels
- Minimizing risks in general
A digitalized HSE Management System translates to better revenues
Modern shipping companies digitalize HSE Management to achieve better performance on safety.
Moving from old school pen and paper, Excel spreadsheets and long emails to digital forms and systems, has already resulted in optimized processes at many shipping companies. Moving from old school pen and paper, Excel spreadsheets and long emails to digital forms and systems, has already resulted in optimized processes at many shipping companies. Having all documents up-to-date will optimize the process of filling out paper forms, doing audits and inventories which in the end will save time and make the documentation more efficient.
With a digital HSE Management System you achieve:
- Compliance and documentation
- Faster Inspections
- Structured checks – no checks are missed or forgotten
- No falsified results
- Easy-to-analyze records
- Less administration spent on manually entering data
- The possibility to track activities
A digitalized HSE system translates to proper planning, better communication, improved safety and increased productivity – which by the end translates to better revenues.
Checklist when selecting a HSE software
Before selecting a software supplier, consider how your organization is currently operating and which values are important to you. Choosing a HSE software is more than just software, it is a partnership.
Checklist for selecting HSE Software:
- Functionality and Flexibility
- User interface quality
- Software implementation costs
- Software license and subscription costs
- Platform covering necessary HSE workflows
- Mobile app and works offline
- Maritime Industry specific content, knowledge and workflow
- Customer references (link: https://www.sertica.com/references/)
It is ideal to have a software that can be accessed both from a computer and mobile device. This way your teams may collect information directly from the vessel and immediately solve constraints.